The University of Wales Trinity Saint David, in collaboration with the International Federation of Interfaith and Intercultural Dialogue and the Chin Kung Multicultural Education Foundation, established the Professional Doctorate in Interfaith Studies that was offered for the first time in October 2017.
This is a three-year programme, consisting of one year of lectures, and two years of research. Currently, 11 doctoral students are enrolled in the programme. To read more about who they are and their research areas here. In addition, applications are invited for up to 25 funded.
The programme is designed to encourage students to deepen their understanding of a specialist area, by locating and embedding their research within the wider study framework of interfaith dialogue and interfaith studies. The aim is to provide an academic environment where students will be able to engage with and connect their own research interests with others, within and across different faith communities and religious traditions and positions, as a means of furthering greater understanding, cross-community and cross-religious engagement. The programme has the following general and specific aims:
- To develop an interfaith research agenda based on an exploration of the similarities and differences to be found amongst and between religions and religious texts.
- To analyse and evaluate the world’s religious texts and traditions in order to establish a clearer understanding of the underlying theological and ethical correspondence and dissonance between them.
- To combine focused research into the world’s faiths and religious traditions, with an appreciation of the potential interfaith connection and dialogue between different traditions.
- To root the programme in a variety of religious and cultural contexts, including the cultural heritage and contemporary setting in Wales.
- To establish, through close theological, historical and textual study, a greater awareness and understanding of different religious traditions, faith and beliefs.
For more information about this program, please contact:
Dr Angus Slater | email@example.com